Thursday, July 20, 2023

I'm Rambling

"There, on April 12 1945, while sitting for a portrait, he collapsed and died of a cerebral haemorrhage" 



My small brother and I couldn't be more different. Despite that, on most good days, he's one of my besties (although he denies this vehemently). And no, that's not who I'm talking about in 1945. For purposes of clarity, my brother wasn't born then, and to be fair, neither was my dad or mum. Although he acts like he was alive during that period. My small brother that is. He is an old soul. For instance, this is the title of the book that he's currently reading : Post American World and the rise of the rest. I could never touch  that book. Even if just to move it, I just couldn't. It would make me fall asleep faster than a joint could. This is the title of the book I've just finished reading : City of Girls. He also could never open the first page to this book. 




The guy who died in 1945 is FDR. Okay, Franklin D. Roosevelt. The then president of the U.S.A. I was interested in this information because in the book I just read, the main character's life is set up just as WWII begins, and she briefly mentions how before the war ended, FDR died and they really mourned his death as America. My curiosity led me to question his death, so, naturally, I asked the guy who knows World History, my small brother, what happened to FDR. He wasn't so sure, but his guess was that it was Poliomyelitis. Polio. So we had to Google. 



Sometimes history stories would sound like story za jaba to me, but after the 2007 P.E.V and the COVID-19 pandemic, they're easy to believe or rather, picture. Especially those of wars and pandemics. Anyway, FDR collapsed and died while sitting for a portrait. That's not so relatable to me (a sitting president dying) because, you may be shocked to find this out, I wasn't alive when Jomo Kenyatta was collapsing in his toilet in Mombasa. (Wait, I've just googled to clarify and it explains that he died in his sleep. Where did I hear this toilet story? And am I the only one who thinks he died while in the toilet? Wait, which story do you know?)



The first sentence of this post is from one of the sites and I've only inserted it there because of how beautiful a sentence it is. 
Anyway, after finding out how FDR died, we just talked about history for a bit then went back to our books. Exciting stuff hehe. 




I discovered a thing only on Monday. Reading a book with the background of 'fireplace' playing on YouTube. There's something comforting about the windy sound of the flames then the crackling sound of the firewood. My Dad once found me in that setting and asked me what's that burning? I said it was just a video on YouTube. He said if only it was real. I avoided his eyes entirely. If I entertained him, he would have asked me to light up our fire place. That sounds fancy and cozy, only that in our house that means to light up the jiko and put it in the fireplace. Ai. I wasn't feeling that story so I didn't show any interest. Thankfully, he didn't pursue that mission any further.




There's no moral of the story to this post. Or something interesting that I have to say. To be quite honest, a number of them have been boring. I'm sorry guys. I just have to post because I know myself. Once I stop, I may stop for a while and right now I'm really trying to build my muscle of consistency in writing. Discipline and what not. I however wonder what advice a Gen Z would give me. Maybe they'd be like writing? Why writing? Just make videos on TikTok or something. Don't stress life. 



Inshallah, I'll be hanging out with a couple of them tonight. (They still make plans despite maandamano). So maybe I'll tell them about the things that I'm struggling with in life then ask for their advice, then come report it to you guys. Maybe that will be interesting...
Otherwise, stay safe my guys...



And for those asking, my Honda is still there, but I haven't touched it in a while. I was meant to wash it last week then I kept on postponing. I still haven't washed it. Maybe I will today. Or tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Elvis ‘Jomo’ Presley maybe 😂 fun, effortless read Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂😂😂. Thanks Kosen

      Delete
  2. Gen Z would also summarize everything and anything meaningful of our well honed crafts with ChatGPT…😅😂 Anyways interesting all the same. What goes on in people’s minds.

    ReplyDelete