You're a 45 year old man and your wife of seven years, whom you share four children with, breaks up with you. You have a mental breakdown and let's give you a name, say Kanye West, your breakdown shall be televised...on social media...
During this phase in your life, you release a song with Xxxtentacion called "True Love". It's a melodious tune. A sort of dedication to your ex-wife and four children. In one of the lines to your children, you say "-I'm the- only neighbor in the hood with a door they can knock on, I leave the light on... daddy's not gone, I leave the light on, daddy's at home"
That line is beautiful, but it also made me wonder how it perhaps could be, having to live in Kanye's house. I was like it must be quite adventurous, to say the least. Immediately, I remembered that I live in Nairobi and hey, in my mind it's not such a far off comparison. (Key word: in my mind)
Here in Nai, the lights are seemingly always on, but also, quite literally. And everybody's home....and in your bedroom. That's how it feels a lot of the time. The only time it feels like the lights are dim are Sundays, from morning to around 6:00 pm and then between December 24th and 31st. (Shout out to any one born during that time period. i.e me, my girl Kinesh, Bien, John Legend na wanyama wooote hehe). At this time, the lights are dim, but never off. Not in Nairobi.
Let me tell you, one of the biggest things that shocked me this year was learning that not everyone is a foodie. That the idea of food doesn't excite everyone. Not everyone goes to bed thinking hmm what should I have for lunch kesho, or while on a date, hmm, what am I going to eat? Anyhu, while still processing that shock, I also learnt that not everyone appreciates slow or moderate paced environments. There are people who absolutely thrive in say New York, the same as the people who thrive in the quickness of Nairobi.
Here's the thing though, as at now, I'm not saying that I'm ready to move from this city. I appreciate a lot of the convenience here and the grandiosity and the sometimes efficiency but other times, it's just a lot. It's everyday having to say "ni send money ama ni till number? Ooh paybill. Account number ni?" Or directing a boda guy or an Uber guy "kuja kwa hizi apartments za grey, Lenalita Kang, kuja house number F8" Without even leaving the house, you still experience how fast paced life is. But then again, I can't imagine living somewhere that doesn't have this level of convenience.
Speaking of convenience, because many things happen here, the other day Harambee Stars had a friendly match against South Sudan at Kasarani stadium. (On maps, it's sijui Kasarani aqua sth or sijui Kasarani Safaricom sth. Like it brought almost 4 options and I was just like mehn, I'm just trying to get to Kasarani stadium, wacha hii maneno mingi) Reason I was going is because my cousin now plays for the team. Harambee Stars, not South Sudan hehe. Even though he's tall, like 6 foot plus tall. So we were going as a family to support and to feel proud, despite SSD winning.
I know about football alright. I wouldn't say I know too much neither too little. I support Arsenal and watch a lot of their matches and know their manager, many players and the goal keeper (Ramsdale) I've forgotten the other one's name. Oopsie. So anyway when I got home, my pops was like how'd the game go, and what position does said cousin (Anyembe) play. I was like position? He's number 24. Are they not all either strikers or midfielders or goalkeepers? Apparently not. The whole time while watching the game, I'm just like "pass the ball to number 24". Even if say the guys huko mbele, akina Saka of Harambee Stars were about to score, in my head I was just like "pass the ____ ball to number 24". Logic left my head, I just wanted to see my cousin with the ball.
Anyway, it was an alright game, nothing too exciting. We didn't win, but we try again next time. Which also got me thinking, I'd enjoy watching more matches live, especially if the team I'm supporting is winning, especially abroad where the stadiums have better infrastructure and err, exciting food. Can you imagine in Kasarani, the food being hawked was just peanuts, simsim, and soda, there was no water. No hotdogs, no fries and for someone like my girl Minah, imagine no smokie pasua. Hopefully with time for us foodies, they'll start serving exciting food and the infrastructure will continue to improve. Even on the pitch they'll put the carpet, they'll turn on the screens cause this time to know how many more minutes of the game was left, we were doing estimation.
Anyhu, in this fast paced city, where the lights are always on, I hope you get chances to just chill. Next Harambee Stars game in Kenya si we go?
😂😂 The whole team should have been passing the ball to #24
ReplyDeleteHaha you know? Mind you I think he's uko in the center
DeleteYes Prithna! Let’s go and hope they pass the ball to number 24 this time! 👏🏼
ReplyDeleteYaay Prithna. 😊 let's go! I hope you know what a corner kick is?
DeleteNi send money ama ni till number? 😂 where’s the lie. All day err’day mehn
ReplyDeleteMeeeeehn. Ama Account number ni? Then it's longer than the paybill number. Goodness!!!
DeleteYou want to tell even smokie pasua guys were not there? Ata ningelia
ReplyDeleteHaha can you imagine that??? Next time I'm packing my own food
Delete