Thursday, June 8, 2023

Don't fight it, man

Ummm guys, yaani your Wednesdays went on kama kawaida? You guys didn’t feel like it was missing something? Perhaps a blog post from yours truly? Damn… A lot of my internal talk yesterday was like oh my gosh, I haven’t posted today, people are gonna be so devastated, then worried, they’ll blow up my phone asking if I’m okay and wondering where their post is, let me even put my phone on silent because I’m sure the vibrations will be too many. And then… nothing! Haha not even 1 person texted regarding that. Heh, earth is hard yo. Anyway, I’m baaack, like I never left. Yesterday the cow had refused, but milk, sorry, joy comes in the morning.



Something my pops don’t identify as: Jeff Bezos. Which is fair enough because neither did his pops identify as Miguel Bezos (Jeff Bezos’ step-father. I was going to use his biological dad’s name here but it doesn’t have Bezos at the end, and I like that name, Bezos, so I chose his step-father instead). As you’ve correctly guessed, my birth certificate doesn’t’ read Liz Bezos. All of this to say, capitalism is beating my ass, inanitwanga. In between running a baking business and writing, because I’m now… you know… a writer, I’m also searching for a part-time gig. From how I’ve already explained my family tree above, my career as a professional international people-watcher has to wait. It’s my dream to travel around the world and just watch people and sometimes come up with stories for them in my head. Then other times, listen to their stories, kind of like the Humans of New York guy. Then I’d write about them, but in my own format. Oh, another job I imagine I’d enjoy, writing lyrics for artists on streaming platforms especially spotify. Whenever I’m listening to a song then go search for its lyrics and don’t find them, I’m like they should have given me that tender. Who usually writes those lyrics btw, anybody know? 



Realistically though, to add some color to my life, I’ve been reading more articles, blog posts and books. I really enjoyed spending my time in between … the pages of Will, the book. I easily found my laughter across the chapters. I without a doubt like Will Smith the writer because he is funny, silly, reflective, real and there he doesn’t tell us to you know, keep his wife’s name out of our f**king mouths. I’m not quite fond of Will Smith the slapper, especially because it was Chris Rock on the receiving end. Chris (first name basis) is my guy ever since Everybody Hates Chris. He was the master of exaggeration on there, which makes it one of my top favorite shows to date. Also, to me, his body size is just so woishe. But we move, innit? Especially because even though they’re not from the Bezos family, both their bank accounts are prime targets for fat shaming.



The story of how Will comes to be a very rich and famous guy is quite interesting and it’s thanks to all the cliché attributes of hard work, discipline, talent, luck and all those nice things that Malcolm Gladwell talks about in Outliers, the book.



One of my favorite parts in the book is when he’s in his early 40’s. His movies are doing so well, they’re the highest grossing at the time, he’s successful. He also has a ‘perfect’ family. This should mean him and happiness wake up together smelling each other’s morning breath, right? Wrong. After Jada’s 40th birthday party, things between them start to really fall apart, mambo yanachemka and they decide the best thing for both of them is to take a break from each other. During this break, he calls his ex-girlfriend who they’re still friends with, and tells her that he needs a favor from her; he needs to borrow her husband, to take him to Trinidad. The ex-girlfriend’s husband, Scotty, is cool with it and it’s the first time in years that Will travels somewhere without security or delegation, he has to carry his own luggage lol. Anyway, this is what got me, the first day he got there, he spent the night at kina Scotty’s friend’s. The people in that house especially Scotty, didn’t treat him like he was a famous guy, in fact at night, Scotty left him there and he (Will) slept in the guest room on a platform bed (love those), nothing too luxurious, not what he’s used to. In fact, the curtain in there was a white bed sheet. That night, he slept for 12 hours straight, something he hadn’t done in a long time. For some reason, that spoke to me. It all seemed so pure. Maybe it’s because I struggle to get consistent long hours of sleep, but that’s not it. I guess it was the simplicity of that human moment, him being away from being a VIP and just being another guest in someone’s home. Think Uhuru spending a night without bodyguards, p.a’s and all, okay for some reason that’s easy to imagine. Think Beyonce, away from all the hype and glitter or Obama just being in your SQ or guest room, or even on a mattress in your living room, away from all the noise, wearing red patipatis to go to the bathroom lol. 



Anyway, so while on this trip, one day Scotty takes him to the ocean where they’re just there to chill in the ocean, but Will Smith, because he’s a guy used to a lot of stimulation and is also competitive, starts to ask “ehee, what’s the plan? Where are the jet-skis? Let’s do something.” Then Scotty tells him that that was the plan, to just chill in the water, but he uses Trinidadian lingo, ‘recconectin and limin’. Will Smith, who’s not a great swimmer at the time and a bit foreign to the concept of just chilling eventually dips himself in the water and the waves start to slightly toss him around. Then Scotty says to him one of the most profound things, according to me. He says, “Don’t fight it, man. It’s a flow. It’ll carry yuh out, but it’ll bring you back.” I really liked those words. So much. I feel like that’s what I should always remind myself when I’m feeling extremely sad or experiencing hard emotions or even sometimes, extremely happy emotions, “don’t fight it, man. It’s a flow. It’ll carry yuh out, but it’ll bring you back.” To keep afloat in this world, sometimes all I have to do is surrender.



What a beautiful book Will wrote about his life and his healing journey. … and then afterwards, he slaps Chris Rock. Lol. I guess healing isn’t linear. (Also, not arguing with those who thought that Chris was on the wrong) 



 Acknowledgments

 1. To my home girl for life, Masich, who in a heart-warming turn of events texted me to ask me where the blog post was yesterday (this is after I was already done with the draft copy of this post) You sweetheart and avid reader! 

2. To my friend who gifted me the book. Always nice connecting with words.



No comments:

Post a Comment