Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Someone else other than 'Paris'

 "These are usually just some thoughts that I would share with myself but I thought f' it, it's worth it to share them with someone else other than Paris for once" 


I'm not one of those people who are bothered if you get my name wrong, or pronounce it wrong. It doesn't move me. No kidding, there's a shop keeper who calls me Dorcas, and I always respond to it. On top of that, I like all derivatives of my name Elizabeth. In a way, it shows how I'm a different person to different people? Rather, how people interpret me differently. Idk. Can you guys pronounce Sabheeti? That's Elizabeth in my shags, I love it. Always reminds me of how Luhya I am. My 2nd name, Litali, people get wrong all the time. They say L.italy Litalia, Natali, Kitali. I really don't mind. We can keep it moving, unless it's someone recording an official document, then I correct them cause those can get tricky. You don't want to end up having to go to Huduma Center. Ain't nobody got time for that. 


But there's people I have beef with, and it's those who get song lyrics wrong. You. Kent (can't). Be. Ciriaz (serious). It's one thing not to know the lyrics, that's cool, but singing the wrong words? Naah. You're being a joker. I'd prefer you just hum over the part you don't know, but please, don't sing the wrong words. These are the kind of people who instead of singing "who's your guy?" they'll sing sth like "booze your guy?" As in, that just changes the whole mood, vibe and meaning of the ENTIRE song.


I surprisingly came to find out that it's not a universal thing to want to learn a song's lyrics as soon as one hears a song. Personally, I don't enjoy a song if I don't know the lyrics. I'll always have to go on Genius at least once, ama I check them on Spotify, then I can sing along. When afro beats/ Nigerian music became popular, my friends nicknamed me Tiwa Savage. I wished it was for her looks or appeal, wrong! It was because I knew the lyrics to all Nigerian songs. Damn. Haha


The opening paragraph of this post is a verse from Drake on his song with Jay-Z, Pound cake/Paris Morton Music 2 music. One of the greatest collabs of all time, that's a fact, not an opinion. Needless to say, I know the whole song word for word. I'm a Jay-Z stan, a proper one. Drake, I like some of his songs but his personality is a bit flavorful for my liking. But in this song, I dug his personality kwanza when he was like "my highschool reunion might be worth an appearance, make everybody have to go through security clearance". Bars!! 


At the beginning of 2019, I decided that I wasn't going back to my job as a sales person. I was going to pursue a business in baking and so I needed motivation, a lot of it. That's when, I truly fell in love with hip-hop, their stories of how they started from nothing and were resilient enough to beat the odds that were against them to finally make it at the other end of the tunnel. Their journeys are spiritual and listening to them encouraged me. It's at that time I also discovered The Breakfast Club, with Charlamagne, Angela Yee & Dj Envy. I love it. Now it's just the 2 guys plus guest hosts and I still watch it, especially when they interview people. I love listening to people's stories, plus those guys are silly, and that's my primary love language : silly. 


It's from watching it jana, I learnt that Nelly and Ashanti might be dating, again. Guys, if that's the case, I'm here for it, ama? Such nostalgia of our childhood/growing up. Speaking of Ashanti, I used to follow her on IG then I unfollowed her, I'll tell you why. Being a millennial, I had to join a movement kwanza the way there's so many of them to choose from lol. Most of which just chosha our parents. Like my mum, she gets so tired of the words I use. (She sometimes calls me Mamaa)


"Mamaa, you've lost weight, you look...." 


"Ma, I'm now all about body neutrality, it's not so much about how my body looks but about what it can do"


Sighs 


"Sasa now what are all these words, ai you people na hii maneno yenu mingi. Nioshee hii sufuria"


*Immediately regrets walking into the kitchen*


Back to Ashanti. Because I'm on a body neutral journey, I just had to unfollow her. Anytime I'd see her photos, especially of her in swimsuits tena on vacay, I'd feel something swell up in my throat. Some might call it jealousy. Maybe I'd even feel sorry for myself because I'll never be able to look like that and if I can, I'm not willing to put in the work. It's never that serious. Or maybe it is, but I figured those who will love me will have to because of my personality. At least they'll say "lakini ako na roho poa" haha. 


Aaanyhu, this blog turns 1 month today. My friend gets annoyed by those couples who celebrate their month-anniversaries, lol. By the way, do you know there are some people who've never fikishad 1 year with a partner. Should we blame Nairobi ama they are the problem? 

All this to say, I pray I'll fikisha and pitisha 1 year of posting on here. I'm enjoying the process, even when I feel like I'm just talking nonsense. 

Like Drake said, these are usually just some thoughts that I would share with myself ... but thank you for reading (it's me who's said that, not Drake)


Also, this weather just needs to stop. It should only rain in farms then the rest of us should be left to enjoy the African sun, sindio?

No comments:

Post a Comment